Sunday 11 May 2014

Mother's Day Gifts from Children (ART portraits, teatowels and candles)..



I love it when Mother's Day comes around and we make special gifts for the Mum's in class.  As a mum myself, I just love homemade gifts from the kids.  That extra special effort goes into a piece of artwork done just for Mum.  Then there is the secret business part of the whole lesson - kids love to keep secrets (if they can).....

I never seem to be able to leave it at just one item, so this year we made our special Mum's three things:

1. Portraits of Mum
2. Art Tea Towels
3. Art Work Candles

I just love how they all turned out.  We even took some time the following week wrapping them and decorating the brown paper.  Lovely.  I'm certainly happy with my gifts from this (although they may not have been a surprise for me).

1. Portraits of Mum
(I got this idea from a portrait my daughter did in Prep for Fathers Day 2011 - thanks Mrs Y!)

What you need:
  • Watercolour Paints
  • Watercolour Paper
  • Paintbrushes
  • Pencils and erasers
  • Black sharpies
  • Laminating sheets, laminator and black paper (optional)

 How to:
  • Demonstrate how to do a portrait (I did this on the whiteboard and had a handout for them)
  • We did a practice first on normal paper, then we drew our face on watercolour paper in pencil.
  • Go over pencil with black marker and rub out pencil lines.  
  • Paint with watercolours. (To stop some of the bleeding that happens with watercolours I got the children to paint the flesh coloured areas first and then I dried it for them with a heat gun).
  • Once the portraits were dry I cut them out, put them on black paper and laminated them. 
  • I also put a message on the back saying "Happy Mothers Day 2014"
The Results:
Done by children 5 years old to 9 years old.   See if you can recognize some of the Mum's....

Here's some of me (love them!!).....


Here's some of the same Mum by three sisters...


What beautiful eyes you have (love these!!).....


Love Hearts Mum's.......


 Rainbow clothes Mum (by sisters)....


These ones have a great resemblance...
 


 And even more beautiful Mum's......




What a good looking group of Mum's!!

2. Art Tea Towels

What you need:
  • Tea towels (I used ones from IKEA)
  • Fabric Markers (I used ones from IKEA)
  • Iron
How To:
  • Get the children to draw on their tea towels with the fabric markers. 
  • Leave to dry for 24hrs.  
  • Iron
Some of the Results:












3. Art Work Candles
This idea came from the "Come Together Kids" blog.  Laura has written some great instructions so I won't repeat them here.  Thanks Laura!

The Results:
Sometimes things like this are too lovely to use...











WISHING YOU ALL A WONDERFUL MOTHER'S DAY.  HOPE YOU GET TO RELAX AND ENJOY YOUR WONDERFUL CHILDREN!

ENJOY YOUR PRESSIES - YOU DESERVE THEM..


Cheers
Fiona

1 comment:

  1. Imagination becomes honest with the help of Art Supplies like a mystical toolbox. An artist's paradise exists in the realm of art materials, which include everything from the vivid colours of acrylic paints to the accuracy of fine sketching pencils and the variety of brushes available. Putting money into high-quality art tools has allowed me to take my canvas expression to the next level. The tools are secondary to the opportunity to unleash one's limitless creative potential.

    ReplyDelete