Thursday 21 August 2014

Homemade Snow Globes



SNOW was our theme of the week a few weeks back.  A great time to make homemade snow globes.  Actually my children asked me to do this with them at Christmas and its only taken me 7 months to get around to it!  Now I know how to do this I feel a Christmas workshop coming on.......

I searched the internet here and far for a tutorial that let the children be really creative with this and all I could find were tutorials on how to do it with plastic ornaments.  I really wanted the children to create their own thing to go into the snow globe.  The Artful parent did a great post on ones with playdoh yet I really wanted snow....I read somewhere you could use baked polymer clay yet at $5 a small packet it was going to get expensive (and stretch over two lessons).  Finally I thought I would just try it with Plasticine and see how it went (I had lots left from our plasticine pictures and just needed to buy extra white).  It seems to have worked a treat!  I also asked parents to donate glass jars to keep costs down - thanks to all that did!!




What you need:
  • Glass jars (any size works)
  • Water
  • Glycerine (buy at supermarket)
  • Glitter (I used a whitish one)
  • Plasticine
  • Glue Gun and glue sticks
  • Sandpaper
How To:
  • Sand the inside lids of the jars (helps the glue adhere better)
  • Get the children to make anything out of plasticine to put into the jar (ensure it fits)
  • Glue plasticine figures to the inside of lid
  • Add water to jar with a dash of glycerine and good shake of glitter
  • Screw on lid to jar and invert
The Results:

The children were so excited about these I let them take them home on the day, however I captured a few photos on the way out.  We did have a few variations with Chistmas trees and other sculptures yet I only have the photos of the snowmen.




Cheers
Fiona

No comments:

Post a Comment