Friday 26 April 2013

Mister Seahorse Watercolours


This weeks theme was SEAHORSES as who doesn't love them?  They are so amazing!  We used the book Mister Seahorse by Eric Carle as inspiration and then drew and painted seahorses.

This wonderful lesson was inspired from a lesson in the ecourse I did at Deep Space Sparkle.  I'm just in LOVE with my liquid watercolours.  They are so vibrant and the pictures always end up looking great.  I notice many people say to water them down yet I just use them as is as I like the colours really dark and bright.  I have used them watered down for backgrounds and when covering large areas.  The addition of salt is also a huge hit with the children, they just love sprinkling it on their pictures and the speckled effect it gives.

Materials:
  • Watercolour Paper
  • Liquid Watercolours
  • Salt
  • Oil Pastels
  • Glitter
  • Glue Sticks
How To:

I did a demonstration on how to draw a seahorse on the whiteboard.  The children then either followed this step by step or drew their own version of a seahorse using oil pastels. For two of my younger students who struggled to draw a seahorse (they did attempt one which was great!), I provided a template which they traced around.  The children then painted their seahorses with the liquid watercolours and added salt.  The final step was to add some lovely GLITTER to give them some sparkle.  The children loved this step.  We just used glue sticks as they are easy to use and then the children sprinkled glitter on top.

Here are the results:

Thursday was a holiday in Australia so we only had one class this week.  I will definitely do this class at some stage with my Thursday group as it was lots of fun.  So watch out for an update on this post...

Our artist / illustrator of the week is Eric Carle.  Visit his wonderful website for information on how he did the artwork for his books.

Cheers
Fiona



No comments:

Post a Comment