Thursday 19 May 2016

Wire Sculptures


I've been wanting to so some wire sculptures for a while now.  Its a medium we haven't really used much up until now (not counting pipe cleaners which we use quite often). I was inspired by this post on Babble Dabble Do (thank you Ana - love what you do!) and interestingly even though I gave the kids lots of options most wanted to do their sculptures this way.

First we looked at three wire artists:
  • Alexander Calder
  • Gavin Worth
  • Ivan Lovett
(check out my artist of the week page)


I put out the following materials:
  • Wood blocks (from the op shop and donated)
  • Corks (donated)
  • Rainbow florist wire
  • Pipe cleaners
  • Normal wire from the hardware store
  • Beads (bought and donated)
How to:
I then let the children choose how they wished to use the wire and beads. I like to give a lot of free choice in my classes and just provide the materials and see what the children create with them...I'm just there to guide them if they get stuck or need help to make their idea come to life..

Most made sculptures using the wooden blocks, however a few had a go at making other sculptures.  I had a drill out that only I used.  This was used to drill holes to insert the wire into the wooden blocks (we also added a little glue from the glue gun to keep it in place).  I tend to let the children in Grade 5 use the glue gun yet for the younger children I did it for them.

Loving the results:

























Cheers
Fiona

No comments:

Post a Comment